Tuesday, January 26, 2010

GLU: What’s holding me together in January

What exactly is GLU? It sounds like “glue”, and it’s very much the description of what holds me together and keeps things interesting. Everyone has something that keeps them going outside of their line of work, so I’ll quickly share some of my things as part of my General Life Update.

The Cricket Colts

I haven’t mentioned this yet, but leading in to the Summer for 09/10 I was approached by the president of the Park Beach Bowling Club Colts Cricket Club (woah, that’s a mouthful), Neil Coogan, for sponsorship. People would normally consider it a strange, and perhaps ludicrous, proposition; a musically-based business putting money into a sporting club. In this case, I saw it as an exciting opportunity.

I’ve played cricket since my juniors, and continue to play today (the indoor form a lot more than the outdoor). To put money into a club that runs development programs, in particular for junior players, and a Twenty20 competition for the district is a real privilege and I am more than pleased to be a part of. Both the PBBC Colts and my business share the same vision of a culture that aims to develop and establish junior players; a club/business of the future.

Teaching Preps

Enrolment forms have been drawn up for 2010, as well as new invoice templates. I’m very keen to be trialling a direct deposit system as a payment method for parents/students. Some of the feedback I had from a couple of parents last year was that they did prefer to do all forms of transaction over the internet, including receiving invoices via e-mail. The good thing about this form of payment is that unlike payment by cheque you don’t have to wait to get to the bank, worry about insufficient funds for other transactions. This should definitely make transactions a lot more efficient for parents.

I will also be looking at drawing up short newsletters and making parents aware of any upcoming events or workshops.

Culture Centre in Coffs?

The debate still carries on as to whether Coffs Harbour needs a cultural centre or not. I’ve been following this with keen interest for a while now and I am still of the view that Coffs Harbour does not need, but more importantly isn’t ready for, this facility.

The general vibes I have received in this discussion is that the town is disadvantaged and put to shame by other towns with cultural centres, and that if the cultural centre is established music ensembles and groups will increase and flourish.

In the weekend edition of The Coffs Coast Advocate Nov 22-23 in 2008, the director of the Coffs regional conservatorium was quoted as saying “...Coffs Harbour doesn’t have a Youth Orchestra, simply because we don’t have the space.” There were some teachers that I came across that were taken aback by this quote, but as soon as proposals and people came up with the argument for Coffs Harbour to have a cultural centre some jumped onto the bandwagon very quickly. Buildings don’t create or establish ensembles, people do. What enhances the ensembles are not the chandeliers, drapes, and lighting effects, but rather the skills, musicianship, and team work of the people involved.

Australia Day

It’s Australia Day today and I am looking forward to chilling out, spending some time with family, and finalising preparations for lessons that start tomorrow. After this week, it will be full operations once again for teaching.

All the best.

No comments: